Below you will find an overview of the different types of exercises in the grammar section and some good advice on how to proceed.
Start with the regular words on -o, -a, -e, and add the others later.
Here you can also move forward step by step. You can for example choose:
The inflexions of the nouns
- The regular words on -o og -a in singular: la donna, l'amica, il gelato, l'albergo, lo zio...
- Add the plurals: le donne, le amiche, i gelati, gli alberghi, gli zii...
- Choose a number of words on -e and learn their gender: il bicchiere, la stazione, la notte, il giornale...
- Add the irregular words gradually: il cinema, la mano, la foto, la radio...
Learn the plurals of the nouns. There are two types of exercises:
- Without article: un libro - due libri
- With article: la birra - le birre
Start with the regular words and add other goups gradually:
Nouns and adjectives
- - co, -ca, -go, -ga: l'albergo - gli alberghi, l'amica - le amiche, il medico - i medici
- - io: il negozio - i negozi, l'ufficio - gli uffici, lo zio - gli zii
- - ista: il barista - i baristi, la pianista - le pianiste
- mixed: l'uomo - gli uomini, la città - le città
Here you practice with entire sentences, learning the inflexions of the adjectives as well.
There are two types of exercises:
- Insert adjective: (buono) la pizza è buona
You choose yourself if you want to practice with only singular, only plural or a mix of the two forms.
- Whole sentences:
- Rewrite the sentence from singular to plural: la casa è bella - le case sono belle
- Create sentence: (pl) piazza, grande - le piazze sono grandi
The adjectives are also devided into regular -o and -e adjectives and different other groups, allowing you to define your own exercises.
A few examples:
- regular -o, -a nouns + regular -o adjectives:
(freddo) i gelati sono freddi
la ragazza è piccola - le ragazze sono piccole
- regular -o, -a nouns + regular -e adjectives:
(grande) il panino è grande
la donna è giovane - le donne sono giovani
- nouns and adjectives on -ca, -co, -ga, -go:
(stanco) le amiche sono stanche
il tedesco è simpatico - i tedeschi sono simpatici
There are a lot of possibilities, and you can proceed in your own tempo and challenge yourself by mixing the different groups.
Accusative and dative pronouns
Here you can practice the accusative and dative pronouns as well as their combination: The double object pronouns.
Choose type of exercise
you choose which type (or types) of exercise you wish to have.
Under each type of pronoun you will find three types of exercises.
- In the first type (top) you simply replace the part in italics with a pronoun. All pronouns are in the third person (akk: lo, la, li, le, l')
scrivo la lettera - la scrivo
- The second (middle) is a question/answer exercise. All pronouns are in the third person (akk: lo, la, li, le, l')
mangi il gelato? - sì, lo mangio
- The third type (bottom) is like the second but with pronouns in the first and second person (akk: mi, ti, ci, vi)
mi capisci? - sì, ti capisco
You can practice with one type of exercise at a time or choose more types simutaneously.
You can also control the level of difficulty by choosing if the pronouns in the exercises should be only singular
, only plural
or if you wish to mix singular and plural
You can practice the verbs as well
This function allows you to practice the verbs and the pronouns at the same time.
To do this please choose I write
. In the exercises you will then be challenged to conjugate the verb in the answer correctly:
comprate la casa? - no, non la compriamo
You can choose between presente
, passato prossimo
. If you choose more conjugations simultaneously you will get a mix.
Choosing passato prossimo
enables you to practice to agree the past participle with the accusative pronoun:
hai letto i libri? - no, non li ho letti
If you wish to practice the pronouns alone, and not the verbs, please choose write automatically
Advance step by step
If the pronouns are new to you we recommend that you focus on those and choose write automatically
and restrict yourself to the presente
tense. Start by practicing with one type of exercise at a time.
As you grow more familiar with the pronouns you can start challenging yourself further by mixing the different types of exercises, mixing the different types of pronouns, choosing to practice the verbs simultaneously and finally mixing the different conjugations as well. There are many levels of complexity and we advise you to try to find the settings where you feel comfortable but still challenged.